Here are suggestions for strategies that we recommend and use at Saddleback Children’s Center to help create a successful transition between home and school:
1. Establish a routine in which you drop off your child at the same time and pick them up at the same time (this can be more flexible once your child has acclimated to school).
2. Talk to your child about what to expect and remind them about who will come to pick them up at the end of the day.
3. Make drop-off time quick and simple (only a couple minutes) with these suggestions:
• Hug and/or kiss your child good-bye after you sign your child in.
• Connect with a teacher and tell your child, “It’s time to go with Miss ____ now” or “It’s time to wash your hands and it’s time for me to leave, I will be back at the end of the day.”
• Once you sign your child in, please do not stay around to watch where your child can see you or re-enter the classroom (again this can be flexible once your child has acclimated). This makes it more difficult for your child to separate.
4. Remember that our staff is all here to help this transition process go as smoothly as possible and that it is typical to have an adjustment period that can be different for each child. We also realize this is an adjustment for parents too!
The following article provides helpful tips that you can use during the transition process!